Wytheville Redevelopment & Housing Authority
The Landlord Gazette
Many common products kept in and around the home contain hazardous materials, such as heavy metals
or chemicals that are known to be toxic, corrosive or flammable. Storing and disposing of them with care
can help limit exposure to these substances—which is healthier for people, pets and our environment.
Mercury is an element found in common household items including compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs)
and tubes, thermostats, thermometers and batteries. It’s an extremely toxic element that can damage the
brain, kidney and lungs and impair the normal development of the brain and nervous system in fetuses or
What to do if a CFL Breaks
1 Have people and pets leave the room right away.
2 Open windows or doors to ventilate the room for 10-15 minutes before returning to clean it up. Turn
off the central heating and air for several hours.
3 Thoroughly collect the broken glass and visible powder, but try not to touch it directly. Wear
protective gloves or consider using a bar of soap to pick up the pieces.
4 Place clean-up materials in a sealed container or two sealed plastic bags before discarding.
Batteries are in almost everything and can make life very simple. Americans buy almost 3 billion dry-cell
batteries every year (about 32 per family) to power toys, portable tools and electronic devices. Batteries
can also be very dangerous when not stored and disposed of properly.
• Batteries contain a variety of heavy metals and corrosive acids that generate power by converting
chemical energy to electrical energy. However, these toxic ingredients have the potential to cause burns
or injury to the skin or eyes.
• Rechargeable lithium ion batteries, in rare instances, pose a fire risk because they may overheat and
ignite if they fail. Lithium ion batteries are found in notebook computers, mobile phones, cameras, ride-on
toy vehicles and radio-controlled cars and aircraft.
• Lithium batteries are not only a choking hazard for small children and pets, but they pose the risk of
serious internal injuries if swallowed. Always keep button-cell batteries well out of reach of children and
pets. If you suspect that one has been ingested, seek medical attention immediately.
Do not throw used batteries or CFLs in the trash. To prevent toxins from releasing into
the air, soil or water, contact your local public works department or go to earth911.com
for disposal information.
What's Hazardous in Your House?
Drop these items off at dedicated hazardous materials facilities or retail establishments that serve as
collection centers for certain types of used goods. Most communities also host collections several times
Information provided by EPA
and Housing Authority
170 Hedgefield Lane
Wytheville, VA 24382
Car or Boat Batteries
Fluids, Oil & Filters
Gasoline or Diesel
Aerosol Cans (not
All Purpose Cleaners
Oil-Based or Latex Paints
Solvents & Thinners