These FAQs are comprised of some of the most common questions asked about housing programs administered by the Wytheville Redevelopment & Housing Authority (WRHA).

What is the difference between Public Housing and the Housing Choice Voucher Program?

In Public Housing, applicants are housed in properties owned by WRHA whereas in HCV, participants are housed in units owned by individual landlords, private sector agencies, corporations and non-profit organizations, including WRHA. Both housing programs are designed to assist participants in finding safe, decent and affordable housing.

How do I know if a waiting list is open and how do I apply?

WRHA advertises the opening of waiting lists in the Wytheville Enterprise, this website and notices posted at the WRHA Management Office.

If the waiting lists are open, instructions on how to apply will be provided in the notice advertising the opening of the list.

What if I have special needs?

Please advise our Housing Specialist if you need assistance accessing our services, and let us know if you need special features in your housing.

How do I know if I am eligible to be on a waiting list?

Public Housing Program

In order to bring higher income families into public housing, the PHA has established a preference for “working “ families, where the head, spouse, co-head, or sole member is employed at least 30 hours per week. As required by HUD, families where the head and spouse, or sole member is a person age 62 or older, or is a person with disabilities, will also be given the benefit of a preference [24 CFR 960.206(b)(2)].

The PHA will also offer a preference for families who are homeless, veterans, disabled, victims of domestic violence, families who have been involuntarily displaced.

Housing Choice Voucher Program

The PHA will offer a preference to any family that has been terminated from its HCV program due to insufficient program funding.

The PHA will offer a preference for working families, where the head, spouse or sole member is employed for at least 30 hours a week. However, an applicant where the head and spouse or sole member is a person age 62 or older, or is a person with disabilities, must be given the benefit of this preference.

The PHA will also offer a preference for homeless families. A homeless family is a house that is 1) living on the street, in an emergency shelter or in a transitional housing facility, or 2) is a client of a case-management program service for the homeless.

The PHA will offer a preference for displaced families, a family in which each member, or whose sole member, is a person displaced by governmental action, or a person whose dwelling has been extensively damaged or destroyed as a result of a disaster declared or other formally recognized pursuant to Federal disaster relief laws.

The PHA will also offer a preference for veterans, the disabled and victims of domestic violence.

What are the income limits for the Public Housing Program?

Applicants for the Public Housing Program must income qualify according to the limits sets forth each year by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Click here to view the current income limits for Wythe County by household size.

How long after I apply can I expect to receive a voucher or public housing unit?

It may take up to two years to be pulled from the waiting list and receive assistance. This wait period depends on the amount of funding received from the U.S. Department of Housing and Development (HUD), and public housing units becoming available. Once pulled from the list, WRHA will contact you via mail or telephone. Make sure to submit any changes to your address in writing.

How do I update information on my application?

In order to update any information on your application, you must submit changes, in writing, to the WRHA’s Management Office. Applicants active on the waiting list must inform WRHA of any changes to the application within 10 business days of the change. By clicking here, a waiting list update form is provided. This form must be completed with current information and mailed in with a copy of the head of household photo identification.

Failure to keep information updated could result in the removal of the application from the waiting list. Only the head of household can make changes to the application. Please note that WRHA sends out requests to your current address on file. If the mail is returned to us as “undeliverable” or “unable to forward”, you may be removed from the waiting list.

May I add or remove others from my application?

You may add or remove individuals from your application by submitting the change in writing to our Housing Specialist.

How do I cancel my application?

You may cancel your application at any time by submitting the request in writing.

Can I submit an application when the waiting list is closed?

WRHA only accepts applications when the waiting list is open.

If I am denied admission into the Housing Choice Voucher Programs or the Public Housing Program, what can I do?

If your application for admission into WRHA housing programs is denied, you will receive a notice of denial from WRHA indicating that you may request an informal hearing to dispute the denial. As an applicant, you have the right to bring legal counsel or other representative, ask to review documentation prior to the informal review, and have witnesses attend to speak on your behalf.

I applied to a waiting list with another housing authority. Are housing authorities affiliated?

Each housing authority is independently managed and has its own waiting lists. You will need to contact the agency to which you submitted an application to inquire about the status of your application.

I need affordable housing now. What should I do?

WRHA does not offer emergency housing. However, by clicking here, you will be directed to other resources. This page provides valuable information regarding emergency shelters, food pantries, clothing donations, or agencies that may be able to provide one-time assistance for rent or utility bills, among other services.

Share This